Blocks changes in Gutenberg 5.3
Block change summary
Gutenberg 5.3 provides 41 blocks with a prefix of
core, and 34 blocks with a prefix of
In WordPress 5.0 there were 36
core blocks and 35
- Calendar – core/calendar
- Legacy Widget (Experimental) – core/legacy-widget
- RSS – core/rss
- Search – core/search
- Tag Cloud – core/tag-cloud
- Amazon Kindle – core-embed/amazon-kindle
core-embed blocks that were Deleted were not Deprecated. They were simply removed.
For some reason, Gutenberg still registers a number of Deprecated blocks.
- Button (Improved) – ub/button
- CollegeHumor – core-embed/collegehumor
- Content Toggle – ub/content-toggle
- Content Toggle Panel – ub/content-toggle-panel
- Google Maps – oik-block/googlemap
- Notification Box – ub/notification-box
- Notification Box – ub/notification-box-block
- Number Box – ub/number-box-block
- Subheading (deprecated) – core/subhead
- Tabbed Content – ub/tabbed-content
- Text Columns (deprecated) – core/text-columns
Crashes for Add New and Edit
The editor has encountered an unexpected error.
I got this problem when I deactivated Gutenberg 5.3, in order to cross check which blocks were delivered by core. I was trying to copy content from the oik-plugins post for the Gutenberg plugin ( Gutenberg ) into a new blog post ( this one ) when I had the error. Up until that time I’d been busily beavering away without any issues. My workaround was to reactivate Gutenberg 5.3.
Other people have reported problems after deactivating Gutenberg 5.3 when using
It’s a pretty serious problem. The only workaround that appears to work is to clear the browser’s local storage.
- Open console
- or view the localStorage using Resources and delete it manually.
The problem will be fixed in the next version of Gutenberg. If you’ve deactivated v5.3 and have not resolved the issue on all your browsers then you will have to upgrade to the next version, activate it and then decide whether or not you still want to deactivate it.
PS. I also believe that I got a White Screen of Death (WSOD) when first updating to 5.3, but reckoned that was resolved either when I cleared the cache or did a complete browser refresh.
I am still unable to determine the proper way to select and copy blocks from one post to another. After selecting a couple of blocks, I right click my mouse to get the popup menu to choose
Copy Ctrl+C. Sometimes the menu item is enabled, other times it’s not. It’s a bit flaky.
Having copied the blocks into the clipboard, pasting them into a new post often creates a Classic block first and last. These weren’t part of the content that was copied.