Status: 573 of 1047 blocks in 100 plugins – now catalogued!
For quite a while I’ve been trying to get a more complete view of the effort involved in documenting all of the blocks delivered by block plugins in the WordPress plugin directory.
Today, even though the block list for quite a few plugins is still Under Construction or Not yet started, I cloned a few more plugins from my development system.
I’ve reached the magic number of 100 plugins catalogued.
That’s still less than one fifth of the total number of plugins that deliver blocks.
A milestone of sorts
- The number of blocks that I’ve catalogued for the 100 plugins is 573.
- I’ve determined that these 100 plugins deliver 1047 blocks.
- So I’ve only done just over half the work for the first 100 plugins
- And there are probably another 500 plugins to consider.
And it can be very tiresome, with so many plugin developers delivering the same block over and over.
If you know of a plugin / block that is truly unique, and easy to document, please let me know.Herb @herb_miller, @bobbingwide or @bobbingwide in WordPress/Slack.
- For the latest status of Blocks catalogued versus Blocks delivered by plugin visit the Block plugin summary
- For my latest estimate of work to be done see the Block plugin TODO list.
- To see how the individual blocks have been classified see Block keywords, categories and classification.
- For my previous estimate see How complete is this blocks catalogue?
Letting of steam nicely…
In Gutenberg 8.3.0 the block categories have been “improved”.
That’s all well and good if it weren’t for the fact that many plugins by registering their own block category – using the plugin’s name/slug – which makes a mockery of the attempt to organise blocks by their usage.
One day I might be tempted to incorporate the block’s name in the block keywords taxonomy. Then there’ll be even more duplicated blocks than currently listed.
There are far too many of the following block types!
- Contact form blocks
- Icons and images
- Pricing tables
- Rows & columns
- and WooCommerce blocks