What’s new in WordPress 5.9
WordPress 5.9 “Joséphine”, released on 25th January 2022, delivers the first bundled FSE theme Twenty Twenty-Two and the Full Site Editor to enable users to customise their FSE themes to their hearts content.
The About WordPress page lists the major changes
- Site Editor beta
- Twenty Twenty-Two
- Global styles
- Navigation block
- Better block controls
- Revamped List View
- Better Gallery block
These are all covered in the WordPress Portsmouth Online Meetup’s “What’s new in WordPress 5.9″ slides.
This post primarily contains links covering other changes to the core blocks.
New blocks and variations
- Custom Link : Post Link – core/navigation-link post
A link to a post.
- Custom Link : Page Link – core/navigation-link page
A link to a page.
- Custom Link : Category Link – core/navigation-link category
A link to a category.
- Custom Link : Tag Link – core/navigation-link tag
A link to a tag.
- Custom Link : Block example Link – core/navigation-link block_example
Link to Block example
- Custom Link : Theme Link – core/navigation-link oik-themes
Link to Theme
- Custom Link : Download Link – core/navigation-link download
Link to Download
- Custom Link : Letter Link – core/navigation-link letters
Link to Letter
- Custom Link : Block category Link – core/navigation-link block_category
Link to Block category
- Custom Link : Block keyword Link – core/navigation-link block_keyword
Link to Block keyword
- Custom Link : Block classification Link – core/navigation-link block_classification
Link to Block classification
- Custom Link : Required version Link – core/navigation-link required_version
Link to Required version
- Custom Link : Compatible up to Link – core/navigation-link compatible_up_to
Link to Compatible up to
- Custom Link : Plugin Tag Link – core/navigation-link oik_tags
Link to Plugin Tag
- Custom Link : API Letter Link – core/navigation-link oik_letters
Link to API Letter
- Custom Link : Block letter Link – core/navigation-link block_letters
Link to Block letter
There will be other variations for any Custom Post Type or Taxonomy that is registered with
show_in_nav_menus set to
- Post Navigation Link : Next post – core/post-navigation-link post-next
Displays the post link that follows the current post.
- Post Navigation Link : Previous post – core/post-navigation-link post-previous
Displays the post link that precedes the current post.
- Template Part : Header – core/template-part header
The Header template defines a page area that typically contains a title, logo, and main navigation.
- Template Part : Footer – core/template-part footer
The Footer template defines a page area that typically contains site credits, social links, or any other combination of blocks.
The Query pagination blocks have been renamed:
- Pagination – core/query-pagination
Displays a paginated navigation to next/previous set of posts, when applicable.
- Next Page – core/query-pagination-next
Displays the next posts page link.
- Page Numbers – core/query-pagination-numbers
Displays a list of page numbers for pagination
- Previous Page – core/query-pagination-previous
Displays the previous posts page link.
Gutenberg versions included
WordPress 5.9 includes changes to Gutenberg plugin between versions 10.5.0 ( released 5th May 2021 ) and 11.9.1 ( released 17th November 2021 ).
The current version of Gutenberg is 12.4.1 ( released 21st January 2022 ). Some of the fixes developed since 11.9.1 have been incorporated into WordPress 5.9.
Automatic anchor ids 🙂
Automatic anchor ids (-:
This post was previously published as What’s new in WordPress 5.9: core.wp-a2z.org