About the WordPress Block Reference
This page gives you a brief introduction to this WordPress Block Reference. The blocks.wp-a2z.org website, a sub-domain of wp-a2z.org, is a catalogue of Blocks that have been developed for the WordPress Block editor aka Gutenberg.
To catalogue WordPress blocks delivered by WordPress core and plugins.
A complete reference of blocks would list all the known blocks and their source components: core, plugin, theme, or otherwise. This will always be a work in progress; the number of plugins that offer blocks is growing daily.
To partially satisfy, if only briefly, the following requirement:
Building a WordPress.org directory for discovering blocks, and a way to seamlessly install them.Item 8 – 9 Projects for 2019, Matt Mullenweg
This website is prototype of a directory. The basic process of documenting blocks is.
- Choose a plugin to be included in the directory.
- Install it.
- Register it, creating a summary of the blocks it delivers.
- Automatically generate Block CPTs and associated meta data for those blocks.
- Manually edit the generated Blocks CPTs
- Go to 1.
This semi automatic registration of each block will help us to build an index that may make block discovery easier. The custom taxonomies will allow the Block catalogue to be viewed from a range of viewpoints.
This solution will not help with the seamless installation. It will only help you identify the blocks you might want and the components you’ll need to deliver them.
- WordPress 5.2 block editor features
- Block plugin TODO list
- Block keywords, categories and classification
- Block plugin summary
Recent blog posts – Block News
Please also refer to these items of Block News for more information about the process and status.
- Fizzie v0.5.0 – changes for Gutenberg v10.4.0
- Update for Gutenberg v10.4.0
- Status: 573 of 1047 blocks in 100 plugins – now catalogued!
- nhsblocks v1.1.6 – 28 blocks catalogued
- WooCommerce v4.2.0 – 26 blocks catalogued
- Jetpack v8.6.1 – 33 blocks catalogued
- Gutenberg Handbook
- WordPress curated plugin list
- WordPress search Blocks
- WordPress core blocks
- Block Directory Guidelines
- Block Management – WordPress 5.2
- Block Registration RFC
- Gutenberg Block Library
- Block Registration and Discovery
- Gutenberg Times
- Gutenberg Hub
- WordPress Editor User’s Guide
Behind this website
- This site is being developed by Herb Miller @herb_miller.
- The plugins and themes used to create the site are Open Source – see bobbingwide.
- With a few additions, the contents of this site could potentially be used to generate the basic JSON data proposed in the Block Registration RFC. Alternatively, it could be automatically populated from block registration files. It’s a chicken and egg situation at the moment.
- Meanwhile the WordPress Meta team are already working on the display of block metadata in the plugin directory.
- It’s delivered as an Experimental feature in Gutenberg 6.8. You need to enable it from the Gutenberg > Experiments page.