About the WordPress Block Reference
This page gives you a brief introduction to this WordPress Block Reference. The blocks.wp-a2z.org website, a sub-domain of wp-a2z.org, is a catalogue of Blocks and Themes that have been developed for the WordPress Block editor aka Gutenberg.
A complete reference of blocks would list all the known blocks and their source components: core, plugin, theme, or otherwise. This will always be a work in progress; the number of plugins that offer blocks is growing daily. Ditto for Full Site Editing themes.
The basic process of documenting blocks is:
- Choose a plugin to be included in the directory.
- Install it.
- Register it, creating a summary of the blocks it delivers.
- Automatically generate Block CPTs and associated meta data for those blocks.
- Manually edit the generated Blocks CPTs
- Go to 1.
This semi automatic registration of each block will help us to build an index that may make block discovery easier. The custom taxonomies will allow the Block catalogue to be seen from a range of viewpoints.
This solution will not help with the seamless installation. It will only help you identify the blocks you might want and the components you’ll need to deliver them.
For themes on wordpress.org the process is:
- Obtain a list of FSE themes
- For each theme on the list
- Obtain the theme info from wordpress.org
- Download the latest theme version
- Update the Theme CPT
- Go to 1.
For child themes the template theme needs to have been registered.
The theme display logic can list the theme’s templates and template parts but cannot determine which patterns the theme provides unless it loads the theme.
- WordPress 5.2 block editor features
- Block catalogue history
- FSE themes summary
- Block plugin summary
Recent blog posts – Block News
Please also refer to these items of Block News for more information about the process and status.
- My Favourite Block revisited
- What’s new in WordPress 5.9
- How to create Comments blocks in Gutenberg 11.9.0
- Fizzie v0.5.0 – changes for Gutenberg v10.4.0
- Update for Gutenberg v10.4.0
- Status: 573 of 1047 blocks in 100 plugins – now catalogued!
- Gutenberg Handbook
- WordPress curated plugin list
- WordPress search Blocks
- WordPress core blocks
- Block Directory Guidelines
- Block Management – WordPress 5.2
- Block Registration RFC
- Gutenberg Block Library
- Block Registration and Discovery
- Gutenberg Times
- Gutenberg Hub
- Gutenberg Hub Themes
- WordPress Editor User’s Guide